In case you're wondering, a good present for your loved one on your sixth anniversary is candy.
Six years ago - on a Tuesday - my husband and I were married at the oldest cathedral in the United States, which also happens to be in downtown Honolulu.
We invited a small group of close friends and family members and came back to Missouri to throw a big party. There are so many things I'd do differently now in terms of putting a wedding together, but I was so happy to send our parents to Hawaii.
I've said it before, but Hawaii is really a special place. If you've never been, the idea may seem somewhat generic with hula girls and Elvis impersonators -- a major misconception. I can tell you it's wonderful, insanely diverse and unique in a million ways. We loved it for the Asian influences and kind people... plus we were able to give our parents a gift that wouldn't require them to get a passport or learn a new language.
So, with that, six reasons why I love being married to my husband Jim. Gag if you want, but this is my blog after all... LOL:
1. He's unconditionally loving and supportive -- Jim has allowed me to follow my pursuit of happiness as a journalist. He also is my biggest cheerleader, and it's a nice feeling to have someone in your court always encouraging you to be limitless.
2. He's smart -- I always knew he was intelligent, but I've discovered recently that hes REALLY SMART. He is going back to school full-time and he's actually impressing the heck out of me with his computer skills. That's about as indepth as I go on his learnin'.
3. Jim is charming - Duh, that's why I married him! He has insanely nice eyelashes and he can bat them in a masculine way that makes any woman weak in the knees. I saw them in action in my 20s.
4. He is an honest and loyal person. Did you know that's a Pisces trait? Well, he is committed to our marriage, and I have to say... I dig it. I am equally committed. He is my safe place. And he's my person! (Grey's Anatomy reference)
5. Jim is a good family man. We don't have human kids (only furry ones) but he will be a great people-dad one day. And, he's a nurturing older brother and wants to do right for both of our parents.
6. He's devilishly good looking... at least, to me anyway. I have joked... "It doesn't hurt!"
For real, being married changed me, just like I'm sure it changes EVERYONE. I love Jim because he's a great man, but also because he's agreed to accept me and change with me. We've really grown together. We have gone through a lot of ups and downs, struggles and triumphs. We have been together for 11 years but I've never felt better about being life partners. We have chosen to be a family, and I am excited for the rest of our lives! Sometimes I feel really old (he'll be 40 and I'm a little younger) but we still feel like we have a whole life ahead of us.