Happy 6th Anniversary
In case you're wondering, a good present for your loved one on your sixth anniversary is candy.
Six years ago - on a Tuesday - my husband and I were married at the oldest cathedral in the United States, which also happens to be in downtown Honolulu.
We invited a small group of close friends and family members and came back to Missouri to throw a big party. There are so many things I'd do differently now in terms of putting a wedding together, but I was so happy to send our parents to Hawaii.
I've said it before, but Hawaii is really a special place. If you've never been, the idea may seem somewhat generic with hula girls and Elvis impersonators -- a major misconception. I can tell you it's wonderful, insanely diverse and unique in a million ways. We loved it for the Asian influences and kind people... plus we were able to give our parents a gift that wouldn't require them to get a passport or learn a new language.
So, with that, six reasons why I love being married to my husband Jim. Gag if you want, but this is my blog after all... LOL:
1. He's unconditionally loving and supportive -- Jim has allowed me to follow my pursuit of happiness as a journalist. He also is my biggest cheerleader, and it's a nice feeling to have someone in your court always encouraging you to be limitless.
2. He's smart -- I always knew he was intelligent, but I've discovered recently that hes REALLY SMART. He is going back to school full-time and he's actually impressing the heck out of me with his computer skills. That's about as indepth as I go on his learnin'.
3. Jim is charming - Duh, that's why I married him! He has insanely nice eyelashes and he can bat them in a masculine way that makes any woman weak in the knees. I saw them in action in my 20s.
4. He is an honest and loyal person. Did you know that's a Pisces trait? Well, he is committed to our marriage, and I have to say... I dig it. I am equally committed. He is my safe place. And he's my person! (Grey's Anatomy reference)
5. Jim is a good family man. We don't have human kids (only furry ones) but he will be a great people-dad one day. And, he's a nurturing older brother and wants to do right for both of our parents.
6. He's devilishly good looking... at least, to me anyway. I have joked... "It doesn't hurt!"
For real, being married changed me, just like I'm sure it changes EVERYONE. I love Jim because he's a great man, but also because he's agreed to accept me and change with me. We've really grown together. We have gone through a lot of ups and downs, struggles and triumphs. We have been together for 11 years but I've never felt better about being life partners. We have chosen to be a family, and I am excited for the rest of our lives! Sometimes I feel really old (he'll be 40 and I'm a little younger) but we still feel like we have a whole life ahead of us.
9/23/2014 10:09:23 am
Happy Anniversary, Michelle! Jim sounds like a fabulous mate!! I hope he sent you the deluxe bouquet after he read this one...hahaha! You know, 40s not so bad afterall. A few parts might start to creek now and then, but for the most part 40 is the new 20! I'm so glad to have found your blog! Take care;);)
9/26/2014 05:24:00 am
Thank you so much for the nice note! I feel like 40s are the new 20s for sure! You look so beautiful on Facebook I want to hear what you're up to!!
9/24/2014 01:57:46 am
Happy Anniversary! Well, you know gal, if I can't have that hot man you married, I suppose it's ok that you have him! LOL! You all are the cutest couple I know, and both of you are beautiful people, inside and outside. I am so blessed to have gotten to know you and am proud to call both of you my friends. Best wishes for many, many years to come and, if real babies enter into the picture at any time, wow! they will be the luckiest ever! Just ask Piper and Minnie! Sending love and give that handsome hunk a kiss from his favorite stalker!
9/26/2014 05:24:59 am
Thank you so much, Linda! We are so glad that you are our friend... and of course, when I'm done with Jim you can have him! How many more years can you wait??
Leave a Reply.