Dan Rather gave a wonderful speech in Madison at the Monona Terrace for the Madison Community Foundation annual dinner. It was so interesting to hear some of his experiences, especially when he talked about who he's interviewed.
- He talked about being impressed with Bill Gates.
- He shared his thoughts about why he calls the US the only full-service super power.
- He mentioned that you don't have to have a lot to give a lot.
- He drove home the idea that America has a "willingness of heart" and I felt like he even choked up around 21:20 in his speech.
- He thinks Martin Luther King, Jr. changed his life.
- He joked about the two mistakes a man can make in a marriage. (Around 27:00)
Here he is saying goodnight and reading a part of a poem:
Here is the whole speech! I had to move the phone around a little bit so it gets a little better once the phone is settled... it's really worth listening to again if you ask me.